Wednesday, December 17, 2008

My "Glow-in-the-Dark" Commuter Bike

From Brian Miller, courtesy of SMW website:

Okay, so it doesn't really "glow," but it sure kicks up some light... at night and in the rain. It took me a while to embrace the idea of covering my classic Bridgestone (it was their entry-level mountain bike before I "commutified" it) with 3M reflective tape, but I'm glad I did.

Previously, I had bought some regular reflective tape, but it was too narrow (only about 1/2" wide), which is good for detailing, but not good for all-out wrapping. I did use the narrow tape to make accents on my helmet though.
What I finally found that worked for the bike was 4" wide tape made by 3M and sold by the foot at VersaLift. It's only about $1.50 / foot and I used about 4 or 5 feet of tape. I used white tape on my black bike, but they also sell blue and red at VersaLift. You can buy just about any color though if you shop around.
....
Full story and more photos at http://www.smwbike.org/commuting/glowbike.html

No comments: